KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim (pic) will file a new legal challenge to set aside his conviction for sodomy, citing fraud as grounds.
The jailed PKR leader’s counsel N. Surendran said he will file the new civil claim on Monday.
“Anwar will seek to set aside the conviction for sodomy and an order for his immediate release,” Surendran told The Star.
However, he said Anwar will not be seeking damages.
Anwar’s co-counsel Latheefa Koya said the suit would be filed at the High Court registry on Monday morning.
Anwar, 69, had on April 30, 2015, filed an application to get a new panel of judges to review his conviction and five-year jail sentence for sodomy on grounds of injustice.
The Federal Court had on Feb 10, 2015, upheld Anwar’s conviction and jail term set by the Court of Appeal for sodomising his former aide Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan, 32, at Desa Damansara Condominium in Bukit Damansara on June 26, 2008.
The former Opposition leader had on Dec 14 last year failed in his bid to review his conviction after the Federal Court dismissed his application for a fresh panel of judges.
Read more at http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2017/04/14/anwar-to-file-fresh-challenge-over-sodomy-conviction/#xb4hqg14wWsxgcWq.99